LAVA: Forums
PCI serial cards and Windows 7 - Printable Version

+- LAVA: Forums (https://forum.lavalink.com)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.lavalink.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Forum: Serial & Parallel Cards (https://forum.lavalink.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: PCI serial cards and Windows 7 (/showthread.php?tid=20969)

Pages: 1 2

RE: PCI serial cards and Windows 7 - gw4frx - 09-02-2015

>If the OEM driver file didn't work it might have to do with a couple of multifunction driver references that were modified in the new driver set.  Could you try modifying l650omf.inf file in the original driver set.<

Aha! This has worked, sort of. The card is now showing as a 'multifunction adaptor' in Device Manager and identified as a LavaPort Dual-650 PCI. The 'general' tab entry says that it's working properly. In the Ports list the two ports A and B are showing as Com 6 and Com 7 respectively but with a yellow exclamation point against both entries and the entry 'Cannot start (Code 10)'.

We're obviously getting somewhere though, and very many thanks for your help and persistence so far. Any idea what the Code 10 might be about? I'm slightly puzzled that the system hasn't allocated Com 2 and Com 3 -- wonder whether that's meaningful?

RE: PCI serial cards and Windows 7 - LavaSupport - 09-02-2015

Hi John,

Code 10 usually stems from the card not being allocated enough resources by the BIOS, often I'll see this if a card has a hardware incompatibility with the system. Was this card originally working on the same motherboard under Windows XP? Or is this a newer motherboard.

Are you able to try the card in a different slot? .... It may be that the previous installation attempts have confused the system and a full uninstall of the card may be required.

- Lava Support

RE: PCI serial cards and Windows 7 - gw4frx - 09-02-2015

>Are you able to try the card in a different slot? .... It may be that the previous installation attempts have confused the system and a full uninstall of the card may be required.<

Well, I can now reliably get three ports out of four to work but not all four ;-) Initial actions as follows:

1. From windows\inf, delete all Lava oemX files.
2. From Registry, clean up HKLM\hardware\device\map\serialcomm; HKLM\software\Microsoft\winnt\currentversion\ports; and HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\control\COMNameArbiter.
3. Uninstall and remove both serial cards.
4. Install one card only and allow Device Manager to find the drivers. This always works and will set up COM3 and COM4 with no Code 10.
5. Install the second card and allow Device Manager to find the drivers. This works and sets up COM5 and COM6 but causes a Code 10 to appear on COM3.

This sequence of events happens irrespective of the slots in which the cards are mounted. I've just run sfc /scannow in case any system files were corrupt but that hasn't come up with anything amiss.

Are there any other files or registry entries I could clean up?

LATE FLASH -- cracked it ;-)

I carried out all the above steps, then powered down and left everything alone while I had a cup of coffee. Came back, fired up, told Device Manager where to find the drivers and it worked like a charm. I now have four functioning Lava serial ports, hoorah!

I'd like to thank the support staff at Lava for all their help. If only the support from every company was this good, we'd live in a different world. Thank you very much and best wishes from the UK.

RE: PCI serial cards and Windows 7 - LavaSupport - 09-03-2015

Hi John,

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad to hear that you were able to crack it and get all four ports working.

Let us know if you have any other issues in the future and we'll be happy to help, that's what were here for.

- Lava Support