LAVA: Forums

Full Version: Unable to open 1 com port on 2 port esl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have a 2-port esl that has been working fine with 3 different computers sharing the 2 ports.  The ports are connected to scale indicators that send continuous streams of weight data to our software.  Today, while installing a new software package to read the scales we were having issues with unexpected characters in the data string (ascii 63).   Then, the port that was exhibiting that issue stopped communicating completely.  We can no longer access that port in hyper terminal, although the other port is working fine.  I have tried deactivating and reactivating the port and rebooting the computer.  The esl web page shows both ports are inactive.  The other 2 computers are having no issue connecting to both ports on the esl.  This has been working without any issue since 2014.  The o/s is Windows 7 pro.
Sorry for the delay, I missed this before the weekend, though I have a feeling you may have reached out on our Chat System.

That being said, the main thing to remember with our ESLs is that while the Ports can be shared by multiple users they can only be accessed by one computer at a time. So if one of the ports isn't releasing access to the port then that could explain why a third computer isn't able to access the Port.

Are you able to access the port on the "problem PC" after a reboot of the PC? Possibly removing Hyperterminal from the equation, on the off chance HyperTerminal is causing the issue.

- LAVA Support