LAVA: Forums

Full Version: Installing Parallel-PCIe in CentOS 5.7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Installation of our Parallel PCIe and Parallel PCIe/LP cards does occur automatically in CentOS 5.7, so in order to install these PCIe cards you will need to issue several commands from the terminal.

However, before we issue those commands we will need to determine the IO Address and IRQ assigned to the PCIe card. This can be done by executing the lspci command.

Code:
lspci -vk

The lspci command probes the PCI and PCIe buses, displaying extensive information on all hardware detected. In our case we are looking for an entry similar to the following:

Code:
04:00.2 Parallel controller: NetMos Technology PCIe 9901 Multi-I/O Controller (prog-if 03 [IEEE1284])
    Subsystem: Lava Computer mfg Inc Device 8000
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, [u]IRQ 9[/u]
    [u]I/O ports at 1000 [size=8][/u]
    I/O ports at 1008 [size=4]
    Memory at 50001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Memory at 50000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 3
    Capabilities: [88] MSI: Enable- Count=1/32 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [c0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Power Budgeting <?>
    Capabilities: [200] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

From this entry we can easily see that our card is located at IO Address 0x1000 and IRQ 9.

With this information we can install our card using the following commands.

Code:
modprobe -r lp
modprobe -r parport_pc
modprobe parport_pc io=0x1000 irq=9
modprobe lp

Once all the commands have been executed an lp# entry should be created in the /dev/ folder.

For example:

Code:
ls /dev/lp*

will return:

Code:
/dev/lp0

Alternatively, to have the the port created at boot you could also modify the /etc/modprobe.conf file by adding the following line:

Code:
options parport_pc io=0x1000 irq=9

This will append the IO Address and IRQ of our PCIe everytime the parport_pc module is loaded, forcing the creation of a port associated with our Parallel PCIe card.