LAVA: Forums

Full Version: ESL 2-port DB9 - activation issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In a nut shell I am unable to initiate communications through either of the serial ports.  

To the box itself, the Ethernet connection works well, I am able to communicate via a telnet client, access and control the device through the browser and the Lave Device Manager.  The single exception that the "activate all" option is not enabled.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Are all the ports in Driver Mode? Are you able to activate each of the ports individually?

Also, what operating system are you currently using? Are you using the latest version of the Lava Manager?

- Lava Support
The OS is Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3 (32-bit).  Lavalink Device manager is V5.14.0.  I hope this is the latest!

Yes the ports are in Driver mode but activating the ports are hit-and-miss.  It's not clear to me how to activate ports via a telnet or via the browser. 
The only way to activate the ports is through the Lava Manager.  Activating ports should be fairly straight forward.

Would you be able to provide the firmware version of the ESL?

Could you elaborate on what you mean by hit-and-miss.  Once its been activated it should create a Virtual com port and shouldn't need to be activated again.

- LAVA Support
From the web page the  Firmware is ESL 6.01.00/29.03.2007.  Is that a date??  Yikes.

I'll attach some screen capture pics here for you.
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][attachment=1][attachment=2][attachment=3][/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]When I run the upgrade application for the ESL 1/2/4, it doesnt give me anything to choose from.  I'll do it again and capture the screen if that may help.[/font]
Is this ESL on your LAN? Or are you attempting to access it over a WAN?

It appears that the Manager isn't able to find the ESL, otherwise it would be listed under the "Ether Links Near Me".

- LAVA Support
Agreed. The ESL is on my LAN.  All default setting are still being used.  I recently did a J15 reset in an attempt to establish communications.  Should I also have two virtual COMs??  Only one (COM3) is currently appearing.
There are several possibilities as to why the ESL isn't being found by the Manager.

Certain firewall or antivirus applications prevent the Manager from sending a broadcast packet out on the network, which is how the Lava Ether Link Manager discovers any Ether-Serial Links present on the LAN. The best way to verify this is by disabling the firewall, or anti-virus, completely and checking to see if that resolves your issue. If that does then I'd re-enable the application and tweak the access rules to allow the Lava Ether Link Manger to send and receive broadcast packets.

Alternatively, that same broadcast packet could be blocked by a router on your network, this is less likely but still could be a possibility.  I would just make sure the network path between the ESL and PC is as simple as possible, ideally using a hub or something like that.

I would suggest exploring the above options and refreshing the Lava Manager every step of the way to see if anything changes within the Lava Manager, or if the ESL is eventually detected.

If neither of the two routes pans out then we can always manually create the COM Port, which appears to be what you attempted with Com 3, but we'll leave that as a last ditch effort.

- LAVA Support