LAVA: Forums

Full Version: ESL Connectivity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We have setup the lava ESL2232DB9 to remote into a radio on a private network. All works well but we are not able to connect to the radio unless we use the computer that we setup the lava adapter with. 

Is there a work around for this? also when logged into the lava manager we can no longer see the adapter but can connect to the device using the computer that setup the adapter. 

is there a network setting that is not enable that would allow us to connect into anywhere we might be in our network and see the adapter with the manager?
Would you be able to describe the mode that you are currently using for the the ESL?

As for the rest of the setup I'm a little confused. The PC that is unable to see the ESL, is it on same LAN and SUBNET as the PC that is able to communicate with the ESL?

If you are only able to see the ESL in the Lava Manager when the Manager is running on a PC which is on the same LAN as the ESL then that is completely normal. Most routers don't propogate the Discovery packet used by the Lava Manager to search out ESLs, if so you would theoretically be able to see all of the ESL.

If you're looking to access the ESL via WAN there are definitely ways of doing that, so just let me know and I'll do my best to advise on how to best achieve this.

- Lava Support
we are currently testing the esl to see if they would allow us to remote into a public safety radio on mountain top sites via our microwave network which I believe would be considered a private wan. With that said we are trying to access the esl via the manager but we are not connected to the same subnet. we can access the radio using the esl if we use the computer that we used to setup the esl as it appears to have created a virtual com port on that computer which allows us to access the radio. What we would like to be able to do is have any of our radio techs to use there own computer to access the radio and are unsure of how to setup the esl to do that.
Are all of your users going through this private wan, and if so are they able to contact the ESL directly? (ie Pull up the ESLs embedded webpage)

If so then the best thing to do would be to create a WAN Activation via the Lava Manager. To created a WAN Activation you need to click on WAN Activation button (2nd icon from the left on the Toolbar) in the Lava Manager and then you will then be prompted for the IP Address and TCP Port number of the port to be created.

The IP Address is simply the IP Address you are using to access the ESL and the TCP Port number refers to the Port Number that you are attempting to connect to, by default the TCP Port numbers are 4098 for Port 1 and 4097 for Port 2.

If the users are unable to contact the ESL directly then you will need to enable some port forwarding on the access point (likely your router) in order for the users to access the ESL.
Thanks for the help.

I think I'm starting to use what you mean just want to clarify a few things. All of the techs can access the esl via the ip address to the embedded webpage. I have tried to do the wan activation but I believe that it won't work now being the device has been deployed in the field and I can't see it in the manager.

With that being said if I was to go to the site and connect to the same subnet or directly to the device and do the wan activation, what would the techs need to do in order to see the esl when connected through a different subnet using the manager?
A WAN Activation allows you to create a virtual COM port regardless of whether or not the ESL is seen by the Lava Manager. So as long as you're able to access the ESL directly you should be able to create a WAN Activation through the Lava Manager.

Have you tried creating a WAN Activation? If so is it working?

A WAN Activation should operate the same way as a normal activation, so if the WAN Activation isn't working then you may be dealing with a larger issue that requires you to setup some port forwarding on the site's router.